You know how it is, you search for something and something unrelated (remember, I said unrelated :-) ) pops up that grabs your attention.
This video gives an account of the evolution of the mammary gland from simpler secretory tissue that has an immunoprotective role.
I'll post what I was originally searching for in a day or two.
18 comments:
The wife didn't believe me that I was watching this for educational purposes only :-)
Learning can be fun.
Happy Aussie day
See another three people died in Coire Tulaich at the weekend? Dangerous place in winter!
Yeah, we saw the rescue helicopter on the way back. I do remember a few months back thare was a lot of hail on the surface layer. I remember thinking that could form a lubricating layer later
Is the development of breast implants part of the evolutionary process as well?
Mammary glands not evolving??
Hehehe - the argument from boobies.
Now I've heard it all.
Happy Aussie day
Cheers, it was a nice day... 28 degrees - wife buys a freaking expensive new camera which makes her very happy – and we had a great family BBQ where I ate too much meat (including lamb of course. There was salad there, but I didn’t want to risk it)
Win win... I suppose?
Is the development of breast implants part of the evolutionary process as well?
I suppose it would actually be evidence for a designer?
Lee
Hazel, its not the first time the ID crowd have boobed
Is the development of breast implants part of the evolutionary process as well?
In a way, they may improve a persons reproductive success, but to be honest, I find they look unnatural.
A friend of a friend worked in a place that made implants, and got one for my friend. He used it as a stress ball kind of thing. With in a day he had turned it black :-)
Lee,
Sounds like a good day. I was exposed to -13 with wind chill .... Australia here I come. What crimes do I have to commit to get in? :-)
I was exposed to -13 with wind chill ....
I remember those type of days... don't miss them :)
Tomorrow is supposed to be 38, the next day 39... then we get 40 to round off the week.
Nice :-)
Actually... the heat is weird - last week I thought of going for a walk at lunchtime. Got hit by the heat once I left the air conditioned office, and thought... not today.
The heat is great if you don't want to do anything.
Australia here I come. What crimes do I have to commit to get in? :-)
For me, I just had to be robbed for about 5 grand.... so the only crime was by the Aussie government.
Lee
so the only crime was by the Aussie government.
Must be genetic then :-)
Billy
I remember reading Desmond Moriss's "The Naked Ape" several years ago. I think it was in that book that he mentions "body self mimicy" - basically one part of the body suggesting another part.
In this respect , the breasts can resemble the buttocks. In fact I once saw a picture of a close up shot of what looked like boobs in a bra. When panned out, it was obvious that it was a case of "brickie's cleavage" - it was the womans bikini bottom a bit on the low side and the cleavage was betwen her ass cheeks! Quite funny so it was
In a similar vein, I remember Morris writing about red lipstick and how it makes a womans lips look like tumescent labia......
OK, I know, its hard (sorry...) to talk about this sort of stuff in a detached intellectual analytical sort of way, but tell me, do you have any truck with this "body self mimcry " stuff? Does it serve any evolutionary purpose?
And of course, WWJD? And what does the bible say?
Cheers!!!!
:-))
SG
Hi SG,
I remember that stuff too. It was even on TV. I'm not too sure that boobs and bums are about mimicry, but more to do with sexual display in general, saying that they are fit to reproduce. I think there may be something in the use of lips though, but not sure about the mimicry aspect of it.
Here's a wee test for you
http://www.themishmash.com/2008/03/clevage-or-crac.html
And of course, WWJD? And what does the bible say?
I believe he was familiar with polishing wood. I can hear Peter Cook in my head now :-)
Oh, geez, i don't have you on my blog list, can I link ya?
I realize that I may be thinking with the wrong...umm... You know! For I naturally have far too much appreciation for the beauty of the female form, but I personally do not have a problem with breast implants as long as they look natural. Yes, I understand that there may very very well be some women born with FFF and above, but I would rather remain in denial.
Oh, geez, i don't have you on my blog list, can I link ya?
Sure thing Diacanu
FishHawk, I agree if they look natural. We have a "celeb" here called Jordan who has gone way OTT, but not in the same scale as Lola Ferrari did. I do however think some celebs actually looked better before they got enhancements though.
"Sure thing Diacanu".
Cool. :)
Billy, would you mind just removing all of those extraneous bits from what is a very informative video? You know, the WORDS!
Since we can grow ears on the back of mice, I wonder why no one has grown boobs on their back. Do you think I could get a grant from the MRC to do this - or get a business start up loan?
Post a Comment