Friday, 23 January 2009

Book Club Idea

I've been thinking of trying a book club thing for a while. It would depend on people indicating that they are interested though. Since regular posters have expertise in a wide variety of subjects, I think this would be a good opportunity to get into depth about subjects that are not our area of expertise. Perhaps folk could indicate if they are interested and recommend some books. The offer is open to lurkers and Christians too - differing points of view would be good.

I would suggest either The selfish gene, The making of the fittest, Darwinism and its discontents, The problems of philosophy or Godless morality.

We could also take turns hosting one in an area we are familiar with.

Let me know what you think and we can try and arrange something.

19 comments:

Lee said...

Well - since I own only one of them (The making of the fittest)... I like that one best :-)

So what happens with a book club?

What do we do, and is drinking involved?

Is it a bit like a book review?

Lee said...

The offer is open to lurkers and Christians too

Come on, open this up to the Christians and it will be "Read the bible" :-)

Seriously though, I would be interested in books from the theist that would challenge my own ideas (i.e. How Christianity fits in with evolution/science, Or where science gets it wrong and why. Hey, even a book that tells me why evolution is wrong would be good for a laugh)

My only requested would be that it is a book the theist has personally read and that it holds views they currently agree with.
(Then it gives us something to talk about, which is the point right?)

I could learn something, which I enjoy doing.

Lee
PS Oh, and that the book doesn't cost me more than say AUS$30 or so. Better yet, I can find it in a library

Hazel said...

Billy, please post confirmation that you are OK.

I'm desperately hoping that you weren't at Fort William today.

Hazel.

Lee said...

Scary... didn't know about the news until now. Those mountains are deadly.

Hope all is OK

Billy said...

Billy, please post confirmation that you are OK.


Hi Hazel, I'm fine. Thanks for being concerned. We saw the helicopter fly over our heads as it returned, so we knew something had happened. It was only when we got to th pub afterwards that we found out how bad it was

Billy said...

Lee,

I thought that whoever hosts one (we could take turns) could post a review (how regular is up to the host) of each chapter and we can discuss it.

I agree that theists should recommend books they agree with - and more importantly have read themselves.

I recall darwinism and it's discontents has something on evolution and religion. I recall michael ruse has a book directed at that topic too. I think he tries to include christianity whereas I see no overlap.

If any christians know of a good book on the subject - or even want to review it themselves, let me know.

The making of the fittest is fine by me. A few of my previous posts also contain material covered in it, which makes it easy for me :-)

Hazel said...

Glad you're OK mate.

Mark_W said...

Have caught up with some of the news today, scary and horrible indeed...Glad you're okay Billy...

Re. the book club, I'd be up for The Making of the Fittest. I've not read this (a good start in itself - new is good!), and my local library is pretty good on science books - Lee's point in the second comment is a good one, I think...)

Recommendation-wise, I think Dennett's Breaking the Spell is potentially a good one - though it's three years' old now, it's not targeted at specialists and so is something non-experts in a particular field could feel they could usefully contribute to, and it's at the right age to have appeared in libraries (and in paperback) without becoming obsolete...

From the viewpoint of the theist, I think bearded cleric D. Robertson may have [make sure you're sitting down! :-)] been right (to some extent) in recommending John Lennox's God's Undertaker? - not because (I think) it's in any way correct or makes a convincing case, but because it at least actually attempts to engage in the scientific arguments. I think it comes up seriously wanting, but the fact that I'm still scurrying around drafting stuff to post before I finish with it, in a way that I never did with the buffooneries of Robertson or McGrath, makes me at least [unbiased sample of one! :-)] think it was a better attempt than many...

Mark_W

Billy said...

Hi Mark,

I've only partly read braking the spell, but it should be a good one too. let me know if you have any luck getting a copy of making of the fittest. I dont think it is too technical, but I'm maybe not the best judge of that.

The funny thing about DR's book is that of the ons she reviewed, Paula Kirby siad it was the best - before she went on to disembowel it and roast the guts over a spit. It doesn't say much for the rest :-)

Lee said...

Hi Billy,

Glad is all OK...

So, it seems "The making of the fittest" is winning in the votes...

Since I am a very slow reader - I will jump the gun and start reading it tonight to give me a head start.

I like "Breaking the spell" as a potential 'next book' (I own it, and read it, so it doesn't cost me money)

Have to go... wife wants to spend money.

Oh - Happy Aussie Day :-)

Lee

Robert Craig said...

You were up the hills this weekend? Lucky bugger! I haven't been up a proper hill since September :(

Rian said...

I've read "Selfish Gene" and "Breaking the spell", so I'd be up for those.

Reading something new would also be good (though I think I currently have ~10 books on the go. Terrible attention span) :-).
If "The Making the Fittest" gets the votes, I'll try to hunt it down :-)

Jonathan said...

Godless Morality or The Selfish Gene might be interesting. What time limit are we setting for reading them?

Billy said...

What time limit are we setting for reading them?

That's flexible. I was planning no more than a chapter a week, but there may be on occasion be longer intervals. It's open to negotiation though.

Once a book is chosen, I'll announce it and give interested people a couple of weeks to get hold of a copy

Lee said...

Godless Morality or The Selfish Gene might be interesting

Agree with the first, not sure about the second.

You know I have this 'rule' about the age of science books that I read - well, 30 years is WAY OUT, unless Billy says that the ideas put forward in the book have not be shown to be false? (Rules are there to be broken)

My choice is certainly with 'the making of the fittest' I read the preface last night and just want to read more.

It is giving the evidence for evolution and asking the question, "Why are most people happy to use DNA evidence to decide the outcome of a trial for murder, but not then accept the conclusions this DNA evidence has on evolution and where we came from"

Answers anyone?

One MAJOR problem with the book though is that he is using Fahrenheit as a scale - and assuming that the rest of the world knows what he is talking about.

Lee

Lee said...

Hi Billy,

I've just asked CF (who we have been discussing evolution with the past few weeks) to come over and join in on reading 'making of the fittest'.

No answer as of yet (no response from CF for some time to be honest)

I cannot remember Bruce's opinion on evolution, he has avoided answering when asked if I recall - maybe we can get Bruce onboard reading?

Different views would make it more interesting.

Lee

Billy said...

Cool,
Hope CF is OK. As far as Bruce is concerned, I think it is one of those things he needs to think about - sometime :-)

I'll announce the book in a day or 2 and give folk a fortnight to get hold of it if they wish.

Steven said...

Hi Billy,

I think I have that book in audio(fell of the back of an electronic truck) and paper format but I haven't read it yet. Currently reading Straw Dogs by John Gray

Steven said...

Above I was talking about "Making of the fittest".

I also own and have read The Selfish Gene(albeit a while ago) and own Darwinism and its discontents but haven't read it yet.