Friday, 14 November 2008

Jumbo Dinosaur Jobbies


Having a degree in Parasitology tends to familiarise you with the value of Jobbies; as one of my tutors said, “shit is tour bread and butter as a parasitologist”. This is because many parasites produce cysts or lay eggs that pass out the body in the faeces. These infect the next host and this spreads the disease. The eggs are often characteristic to a particular species or genus. So, you can work out infection rates and parasite loads of particular species in individual hosts. One quarter of the world population is infected by just one parasite – Ascarais lumbricoides. One of my class mates became infected with this and the first she knew of it was when she saw 20 one foot long worms thrashing in the toilet bowl. If you want to feel uncomfortable (or lucky) check out this picture out of someone who has just been "wormed"
Another thing that shit can tell you about diet. I remember one gross practical class where we had to sift through someone’s fudge. It was supposedly collected in the Dominican republic, but contained saw dust- turns out, it had been supplemented with veterinary material. What I remember most though is the huge chunk of onion in it. The person obviously ate onions, but didn’t chew properly or process their food that much either (probably the prof). Apparently, the prof had just discovered that not processing food properly can contribute to severe malnutrition in areas where intestinal parasites are prevalent. He found lots of unprocessed and therefore indigestible corn in the crap.

So, shit can tell you a lot about living animals. Now, to the main point of the post – dino poo. Fossil jobbies are called coprolites. We know for example that pines were on the menu of some dinosaurs, and they were clearly capable of grinding it down – as would be inferred from the structure of the teeth batteries of some herbivores. What is particularly interesting though is the Jumbo Jobbie shown below. It is a possible Tyrannosaurus turd, and measures about 17 inches long.




This majestic Bondi cigar even contains bone fragments belonging to a sub adult herbivore. The large quantity of bone in the meal suggests that the dinosaur was not careful about butchering its meal. We know that Tyrannosaurs were capable of biting through bone, as fossils showing pre-mortem Tyrannosaur bites have been found. These include Hadrosaurs with “healed” wounds that were excised by T. rex bites (about 4 minutes in), and even a T. rex with another T. rex’s tooth embedded in its rib- with an abscess formed around it. Those wanting a laugh (or to annoy themselves) should listen to creationist nincompoop Ken Ham’s short talk on the matter here. I don’t know which is the bigger pile of shite, but at least he knows the consequences of a meat eating dinosaur for his creationist myth that all animals ate fruit and veg before two mythical human beings ate a mythical fruit, and that supposedly caused death, volcanoes, earthquakes and the Mc Chicken Sandwich. That’s why he has to deny evolution. I touch on the absurdity of this claim here (incidentally, that is a Carcharodontosaurus skull at the top of the page).

The other thing that I want to mention is that parasite eggs have been found in fossil shit too (below from left to right Entamoeboides cyst, and two Ascarid eggs). I find this fascinating, and it tells us something about the health of these animals, as well as their ecological interactions with parasites. This is not the first time evidence has popped up for dinosaur parasite interaction, but is certainly the best – and all before man “polluted” creation – yet more evidence that the creationists need to go to farcical lengths to deny.




Finally, we know that some dung beetles even used dino poo – shit’s not that shit after all.

3 comments:

Philip said...

Ok, lets get the obvious joke out of the way first:

"Cor, I never thought I would see the day when I saw Billy talk complete shit and now he has spread it all over his blog!"

The first thing that cam to mind when reading this was the scene in Jurassic Park where one of the characters spies some dino poo and then its on with the gloves and up to her elbows in it - you scientists had to go there didn't you!

The second thing that came to mind was seeing what looks like the origins of the Flying Spaghetti Monster in the link to the worm photo! :)

Lastly, make sure you don't stand too near your tutor after he has had sandwiches for lunch...sorry, it had to be said!


T-Rex has never come across as the type to be picking through its meals with precision, with a mouth that big its going to go for it not matter what is in its way!

Thought thinking about it wouldn't eating bone be bad for the T-Rex's stomach or would the acids be able to break it down without too much trouble?

Great post, one day I might pluck up the courage and watch Ken Ham fist his way through all the creationist shit but not today, I am in far too good a mood!

Billy said...

I think just about every parasitologist has had his pet parasite. It's a good source of gross stories.
I did my PhD on Schistosoma mansoni. My serum reacts with the larvae. My supervisors' kills them - doh! I've also worked on leishmania mexicana, but would know if I got that.

The pone in the dino poo was utter class :-)

The presence of bone in the stool wouls suggest a relatively fast passage through the digestive tract

Ham just assumes the bible is true, so that shit was dumped after the fall - it's a laugh. Think just how much knowledge he has to deny to claim that 0 and his evidence that the bible is true ? because it says so itself!


Nice one Lee :-)

Laurie said...

Shit! That's one edifying story, Billy. I'm worming the family as we speak!