This is more one for the climbers. Following on from Dave's mountain and bothy tests, I thought I would see if anyone can identify these.
1 Where is this? (I only think I know, so confirmation will be nice).
2 Name the peak and the climber.
3 Name the peak this is taken from (I'm sure someone I know wasn't there).
4 Name the bothy.
5 Would you tell this guy he looks like Martin O'Neill?
6 What drugs is he on?
8 Name the bothy and who supposedly lived in a cave on the hill on the left? (Other than Charles Edward Papist)
9 Cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics, so who is up the chimney? Also, name the bothy.
10 Name the Bothy. Dave and Craig can't answer this one. The other Dave can. Everyone can name the physical feature in the background. What physical feature is the glen also famous for?
11 What hill was this taken from?
13 From last weekend - who couldn't make it? :-)







cropped.jpg)
11 comments:
Nice pictures, but of course I cannot answer the questions.
But I will remember this quote:-
Cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics
Too many questions - some of us have work to do!
1. It's Loch Garry, looking south towards Sron a Choire Garbh
5. no, because he is much more handsome
7. I think the clue to the island names is in the image name ;)
8. Culra bothy, chief of clan Macpherson post '45
11. absolutley no idea, hard to believe it is what your picture title says it is!
12. first fault - Glencoul thrust. Second fault - the colours are washed out
13. I'll let Dave answer that :)
Ah, of course, loch Garry. I thought it was from beinn fionndhlaidh. Must have been on the way back from Seanna Bhraigh.
No cheating.
Lee,
There are a bunch of noisy catholics in Rome that need a little bit of god's warmth :-)
Do you know where Cluny's cave is? I believe there was a considerable stash of broadswords there.
Billy
Picture number 10 - are you two walking in the traditional Scottish fashion of Nay Troos?
:)
Picture number 10 - are you two walking in the traditional Scottish fashion of Nay Troos?
Aye, we just walked through that river wi' oor sheep under oor arms
Billy
Cluny's cave (I have heard it called Cluny's Cage as well) is high up on the hill above Ben Alder bothy (McCooks cottage) isnt it?
And a stash of broadswords? 18th century chibs? Keep the neds oot o' there....
Hi SG,
I think there is a bonnie prince Charlie cave marked on the map near there. Wonder if it is rhe same one. I've climbed ben Alder twice, but never noticed it though. The bothy is supposedly haunted. The story goes that McCook hung himself in the porch from a meat hook.
On one occasion, I met Dr Brian of the undead there. He had already spent a night in it before I arrived and was freakedout. As I popped into view, he said "thank god you are here. I kept hearing footsteps in my room last night" Woooooooooooo.
Could it have more to do with a murine infestation I wonder?
Its amazing the damage those chibs can do. Skeletons have been found almost cleaved in 2.
Billy, Get a hold of the SMC "Central Highlands" guidebook - not the most recent one, but the 1968 (reprinted up to 1979) edition by Campbell R Steven - there are some WONDERFUL B/W pics in it
On eof the pics is a Tom Weir shot, looking down on Loch Ericht from "what may have been the site of Cluny's Cage"
Great pic - shows the shape of the south end of Loch Ericht really well.
I love these old SMC guides.
Also, regarding Cluny's Cage, there is an extensive section on it in the book "Highways and Byways in Central Highlands" by Seton Gordon
Go to google.co.uk and do a search for:
"Highways and byways in the central highlands"
The 3rd result given is books.google.co.uk - follow the link and go to page 163. There is OODLES of stuff about Cluny's Cage
You know what? I am now in the mood for heading off to the hills......
1 Loch Garry?
2 The Buachaille & Brian
3. Sgurr a Greteh
4. Dunno
5. Yes
6. None
7 Rhum & Eigg from Skye, Bein DEarg
8. Culra
9. Brian & Duno
10. Duno
11 Beinn Ime?
13. Me (Git)
2 wrong, I asked for the peak, which is Stob na doire (brian)
4 red bothy (monadhlaiath). Note brian has a wooden leg (ooh errr missus)
5 I'll give you that, but I'd call him a walloper myself
6 Keep telling yourself that
7 Rum and Eigg only from Rois Bheinn
9 The other guy is Wee Pete and it is Tom Sleibhe bothy on mull
10 Brunachan (glen roy). Famous for its parallel roads, which were ancient shorelines of a glacially dammed lake. It is an alluvial fan in the background
11 Taken from the Buachaille
12 the other fault is the moine thrust
13 yes, git is the correct answer
Post a Comment