Sunday, 7 September 2008

Pretty Picture

This shows the ventral nerve cord(green) and muscles (red) of a freshwater leech. The blue "circles" around the chord are the nuclei of nerve cells associated with the chord (one node per body segment). Branches of the chord can be seen going into the body segments. More nice photos can be seen here.


9 comments:

Jonathan said...

Is this going to become a regular feature? Lee, you and myself could corner the market on interesting pictures on our blogs!

Billy said...

could be, I thought, why should astronomy get all the pictures to make you go wow :-)?

Lee said...

Lee, you and myself could corner the market on interesting pictures on our blogs!

Pretty pictures are nice... shallow, but nice. More pretty pictures I say.

could be, I thought, why should astronomy get all the pictures to make you go wow :-)?

...because it is astronomy? Anyway, mine is bigger than yours.

It is strange how astronomy pictures do this though, I suppose it is seeing something you don’t expect.

The same is true on the small scale – life is just weird sometimes. Some of the stuff you see by the electron microscope are just cool something – scary, but cool.

Oh, and the colours in the picture – they don’t look natural, am I right? They look too good.

Lee

Billy said...

Yeah, I think all nature looks cool.

Oh, and the colours in the picture – they don’t look natural, am I right? They look too good.


No, they are fluorescent tags that are specific for nerves (green), muscles (red) and nuclei(blue). There are some nice pictures of comb jellies that are refractive though.

The beauty of these fluorecent techniques is that they can be used to construct 3-d images. Many ofthese techniques can be used on living cells too, so you can see things change. I'll need to see if I can find some videos.

Mark_W said...

Billy,

I think all nature looks cool

I agree, I'm all for nature pictures of the week as well as astronomy ones...I find that space pictures, and nature ones (though for sometimes differing reasons) both make me go, "Wow..."

Sadly, my background, such as it is, is in statistics, and "probability distribution of the week" has nothing like the same ring to it...

Never mind...

Mark_W

Billy said...

Mark,
You could have pie chart of the week :-)

Mark_W said...

Pie chart of the week!

I wonder, would that work? :-)

Standard Deviation of the Month, anyone????

Mark_W

Hazel said...

Ohh - purdy!

Lee said...

Pie chart of the week!

I wonder, would that work? :-)


Well I did a whole post on a bloody graph... so why not?

I still have to finish that off... one day

Lee