It’s like buses, no posts for a week and then three come along at once. I found this article interesting. We have known for some time that molecules essential for life are found in space. This report demonstrates that they can be delivered to earth by meteorites. By analysing the isotopes of Carbon found in organic compounds “contaminating” a meteorite found in the Murchison meteorite, it has been shown that Xanthine and Uracil of extra terrestrial origin can survive delivery to earth.
These molecules are examples of purines and pyrimidines: molecules essential for our genetic codes. In fact, Uracil is found in RNA – which some viruses use as their genetic material. One theory of abiogenesis proposes that RNA was the original genetic material and that DNA took over at a later date.
Uracil itself can be transformed into Cytosine by a simple methylation reaction (figure 1) and Xanthine can be converted to Guanine by a simple amido substitution.
These molecules are examples of purines and pyrimidines: molecules essential for our genetic codes. In fact, Uracil is found in RNA – which some viruses use as their genetic material. One theory of abiogenesis proposes that RNA was the original genetic material and that DNA took over at a later date.
Uracil itself can be transformed into Cytosine by a simple methylation reaction (figure 1) and Xanthine can be converted to Guanine by a simple amido substitution.
Interestingly purines all contain a pyrimidine ring (Figure 2) so purines are possible pyrimidine derivatives.
4 comments:
Thanks Billy.
Lots of good links to read.
I was drawn to the 'molecules in space' link first (I have a chance of understanding this one – I hope) and noticed the link is only for interstellar space - I think the evidence is even better than that for complex molecules - though I need to learn some more chemistry on these ‘Tholins’, they seem to be ‘everywhere’.
I found this story a while back finding these Tholins around a new star
http://www.sciencedaily.com/
releases/2008/01/080103132303.htm
Also, the moon Titan orbiting Saturn is another good example of Chemistry in space (OK, not outer space, but anything not Earth is good enough for me)
http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/
News/2007/May/11050701.asp
We spoke before (long time back) that we don’t probably need panspermia in our hypothesises for life on Earth, BUT if complex biology is seen outside our solar system it should show that the chances of life ‘just starting’ could be relatively low (a billion to one would be so small on astronomical terms) so this would be ANOTHER kick in the teeth to the fundie
This one piece of evidence alone is more than all creationism has for the magic sky fairy.
...but evidence is all around you Billy - why can't you see like I?
Oops - sorry, been on too many fundie blogs
Lee
he he
Just followed the link to abiogenesis and the first line was:-
"This article focuses on modern scientific research on the origin of life. For religious beliefs about the creation of life, see creation myth."
Made me laugh...
It's been that sort of day
Lee
Just followed the link to abiogenesis and the first line was:-
"This article focuses on modern scientific research on the origin of life. For religious beliefs about the creation of life, see creation myth."
Made me laugh...
Yeah, thought I wouldnt be the only one.
...but evidence is all around you Billy - why can't you see like I?
Dont know if you saw the reverend Dark's comment on this
"It isn't that the ideas are in the toilet, that much is obvious. It is that he reaches into the smeared bowl, hauls them up and proudly waves them about screaming 'Behold creation!"
http://www.richarddawkins.net/articleComments,
2394,Lying-for-Jesus,Richard-Dawkins,
page149#193804
The funniest thing I have read in ages.
I believe there is a probe planned for Titan soon. I agree, if life was found elsewhere, that would make christianity all the more unbelievable
The funniest thing I have read in ages.
Agreed.
I believe there is a probe planned for Titan soon. I agree, if life was found elsewhere, that would make christianity all the more unbelievable
'soon' is a funny timescale in the space business, but I hope so.
I wouldn't waste time and money trying to get man to Mars (just yet) and explore the solar system some more... but who listens to me?
As for finding life, I think the RC church are setting themselves up for this one.
The creationist's will just ignore the data.
Lee
Post a Comment