Sunday, 1 February 2009

Pesky Pistol Shrimps

I have a pistol shrimp in my reef aquarium. They are supposed to be safe with other inhabitants, but I found one of the cleaner shrimp dead and a couple of sexy shrimp have gone missing (I presume they are so called because they "dance" while they walk). I did a bit of research and apparently not all species are safe and found the video below of one stunning a cleaner shrimp. This is quite fascinating - when the little bastards are not eating their tank mates.





They have a specialised claw that sends out a violent jet of water and a sound wave that whacks its prey. This video goes into the mechanics of the sound production.





This hunting/defense adaptation is also a problem for deluded Young Earth Creationists who believe god made all animals vegetarian. How did they get this adaptation without evolution? No doubt they will pull some bollocks out their collective chuffs like god intended them to eat coconuts and the snap breaks the shell.

A final interesting thing about these shrimp is that they often enter a symbiotic relationship with certain species of goby. The goby provides the lookout and bits of food and the shrimp provides a protective burrow and firepower. This an example of being co-operative yet selfish. It is such a creationist lie that natural selection means kill everything.

Anyway, I wonder who would win in a square go between a pistol shrimp and a mantis shrimp (which can deliver a blow equivalent to being hit by a .22 bullet). Following Bruce Lee's advice of using your longest weapon, I would bet on the pistol shrimp. All we need now is Harry hill to proclaim Fiiiiight!

8 comments:

Lee said...

But what do they taste like cooked?

Interesting verification for you... 'metro-ded'?

I wonder what it could mean?

Billy said...

Like woodlouse apparently

Lee said...

Like woodlouse apparently

Erm... that doesn't sound nice.

Billy said...

Apparently they taste just like shrimp. You should join the zoophagy society and eat your way through the animal kingdom. Darwin once ate a brown owl which was so boggin' that he described it as indescribable

Lee said...

You should join the zoophagy society and eat your way through the animal kingdom.

I draw a line at insects... and some of the funny looking fish.

On a silly side note - I have often wondered how man discovered what was good to eat, what can and cannot be eaten.

I mean, who was the poor fool who had to try and the poisonous stuff and say "No, not good" just before kicking the bucket?

And who was the one who thought these stones are rubbish eating… but if I throw that at that deer over there...

(Probably a Farside comic on the subject somewhere)

Lee

Billy said...

Yeah, I have often wondered who thought drinking rancis and fermented fruit juice was a good idea - or eating moldy cheese.

Lee said...

... and who though black pudding would be a good idea?

It must be in the bible somewhere I guess?

Billy said...

It must be in the bible somewhere I guess?

Actually, the bible forbids eating blood (Genesis 9:4). This is one of the verses that JWs use concerning transfusions.