Dr B, I've never really used google earth so hope thid link works http://maps.google.co.uk/maps? near=bridge+of+orchy&q=google+earth &f=p&btnG=Search+Maps&rl=1
The area is bridge of orchy/ blackmount.
Lee, I use autostitch http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autost itch/autostitch.html
Dave uses something else that does higher res panoramas which I cant remember (had problems downloading it). I'll ask him what he uses.
You should check out robert craig's site (loveofscotland.com) or his blog also called love of scotland (linked) He will spend half an hour setting up the right photo
The Gardyloo gully comment in the Scoggie article reminds me of another story. Cant remember who it was about (maybe someone else does - might have been Bell). It concerns a bunch of climbers getting cabin fever in the CIC hut. It had been pissing down for days and one of them says something to the effect of "let's go climb the hardest route on the Ben. That'll take our minds off the weather"
BTW there is a bicycle in gardyloo gully - mind you, it got that name because they used to throw suff from the observatory down it.
Hope you have a good weekend in the hills. I'm off to Schiehallion tommorow. Might blog about it given its importance in measuring the mass of the earth
Thanks for the software links... rather impressive stuff – the wife will just have to learn how to climb a mountain now... I will continue to just look at someone else’s pictures myself.
Cool picture Dr Benway. I'll need to start using google earth more. You should check out arnamurchan - it an old volano (created before a certain fundie minister ate an apple) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:W fm_ardnamurchan_landsat.jpg
Just found out today that buddhists (holy island has a monastry there) dont like you thanking them. The believe that karma will be removed elsewhere. Does that mean they would thank you if you booted them in the swingers as that would mean that they would get good Karma
16 comments:
Billy,
Excellent photos.
And indeed, Happy new year!
Mark_W
Brilliant. You got a map or Google Earth shot, in case I want to see the place one day?
The wife and i love your pictures, but she has a sad techie question... what software (or camera) do you use to create your panoramics?
And a happy new year... at last you've caught up... I've already had my fried breakfast!
Lee
Happy New year guys
Dr B, I've never really used google earth so hope thid link works
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?
near=bridge+of+orchy&q=google+earth
&f=p&btnG=Search+Maps&rl=1
The area is bridge of orchy/ blackmount.
Lee, I use autostitch
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autost
itch/autostitch.html
Dave uses something else that does higher res panoramas which I cant remember (had problems downloading it). I'll ask him what he uses.
You should check out robert craig's site (loveofscotland.com) or his blog also called love of scotland (linked) He will spend half an hour setting up the right photo
I use Miscrosoft ICE a free program
Get it here
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/
Excellent photos Billy. Happy new year!
Great pics Billy, must have been a cracker of a day.
Right thats the matter settled - its the hills this weekend, no doubt now!
Excellent quote BTW, attributed to the late great Syd Scroggie:
"Efter his mither a maun's best freends are the hills"
Absolutely SUPERB web page about him here:
http://www.caledonius.co.uk/brechin/Page24.html
This is the sort of "outdoor prose" that reminds me of another character, the late Tom Patey.
Keep up the good blog Billy, keep hammering away at the Flea, and hope you get some good hills and pics in 2009!
Slainte Mhath agus Bliadhna Mhath Ur dha h-uile duine a tha a' leughadh seo!
SG
Hey , spookily, the "word verification" phrase tht has just come up before I hit enter, is would you believe it "earse"
Why does this remind me of a certain minister from Dundee.....
Happy new year to you too Jonathan and SG.
The Gardyloo gully comment in the Scoggie article reminds me of another story. Cant remember who it was about (maybe someone else does - might have been Bell). It concerns a bunch of climbers getting cabin fever in the CIC hut. It had been pissing down for days and one of them says something to the effect of "let's go climb the hardest route on the Ben. That'll take our minds off the weather"
BTW there is a bicycle in gardyloo gully - mind you, it got that name because they used to throw suff from the observatory down it.
Hope you have a good weekend in the hills. I'm off to Schiehallion tommorow. Might blog about it given its importance in measuring the mass of the earth
Thanks for the software links... rather impressive stuff – the wife will just have to learn how to climb a mountain now... I will continue to just look at someone else’s pictures myself.
Lee
I climbed your mountain in Google Earth and saw this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/3162333788_44eabc130c.jpg?v=0
Not as pretty as your pics, but still fun.
Hmm, nice temperature inversion - it was misty and freezing on Holy Island (where I was). Jealousy!
Cool picture Dr Benway. I'll need to start using google earth more. You should check out arnamurchan - it an old volano (created before a certain fundie minister ate an apple)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:W
fm_ardnamurchan_landsat.jpg
Nae luck RC. How's the ankle?
it was misty and freezing on Holy Island
Just found out today that buddhists (holy island has a monastry there) dont like you thanking them. The believe that karma will be removed elsewhere. Does that mean they would thank you if you booted them in the swingers as that would mean that they would get good Karma
Billy - they wouldn't like it, but they'd put up with it for the karma benefits. (PS I was on the other holy island - Lindisfarne)
I can cycle and walk on streets but not run yet and I don't want to risk it on 'proper' hills. It has been a vexingly sunny Christmas holiday!
Ah, I hear the sound of "clackity clack" in Kendal :-)
Just wanted to say that I am still jealous of this day on the hills you had :)
Post a Comment