My Gran died last night. She was born in 1916, and although she had been physically deteriorating for a few years, she was still mentally sharp until a few weeks ago when she had a stroke. We are all saddened by it. We were expecting it, and I think this gave us time to prepare (something I don't think the false hope of prayer would do). There is also relief that it was not a prolonged affair for her. Right now, I am filling myself with happy memories of her, which is not difficult as she was always kind and did not have a bad bone in her body. I usually have some rolls and bacon with brown sauce for breakfast on a Saturday. Strangely, it has always been something that reminds me of my Gran. When I was a kid and we visited my Gran and Granddad, she always gave us bacon rolls with brown sauce – cooked on my granddad’s camping stove because I liked that. I also think of her whenever I have a bowl of Heinz tomato soup – whenever I was off school with the flu or some other scabby child disease, she would often look after me when my parents were at work and give me tomato soup. I think it’s the feeling of being cared for by her that I associate with these foods.
I feel particularly sad for my mum and dad as they were very close to her. She always called my Dad the son she never had. I also feel sad that she will never get to see my sister’s first child, who is due in a few weeks. That would have meant so much to her (and my sister). I don’t really think it has sunk into any of us yet, but it has impressed upon me that life is valuable and that we should live it to the full. There is no time to waste what we have, and my Gran wouldn’t want any of us moping about. She would definately tell us off for that.
I feel particularly sad for my mum and dad as they were very close to her. She always called my Dad the son she never had. I also feel sad that she will never get to see my sister’s first child, who is due in a few weeks. That would have meant so much to her (and my sister). I don’t really think it has sunk into any of us yet, but it has impressed upon me that life is valuable and that we should live it to the full. There is no time to waste what we have, and my Gran wouldn’t want any of us moping about. She would definately tell us off for that.
10 comments:
My condolences, Billy.
My deepest sympathies. I hope there is some ceremony or occasion of remembrance that can provide good memories and comfort.
Thanks guys
Sorry to hear that.
Take care.
P.S. I think you will make a great uncle.
Sorry to read the sad news.
My condolences
It sounds like you have some great memories to hold on to so don't forget to pass them on.
Lee
Very sorry to hear that Billy. My condolences
Billy,
I too am really sorry to hear about this but I am glad you have good memories about someone who obviously cared a lot for everybody.
Take care
Thanks everyone. That's very kind of you all.
One of the things that has impressed on me just what a long life my Gran had was the stamp on her birth certificate. It had a picture of George V on it (the queen's grandfather). It's amazing to think of the global changes that took place in her lifetime
Billy,
My condolences also...
life is valuable and we should live it to the full...
Absolutely, and well said, and I'm glad your Gran was able to...
Mark_W
Sorry to hear about your Gran. She outlived the entire history of the Soviet Union!
Whenever I see a Mr Kiplings Viennese Whirl it always reminds me of my grandma. She always offered them when we came round. It turned out the first time he was offered one, dad had said he liked them to be polite, and that was what he got for the next 30 years.
She always made my sister laugh when she would insist "go on Craig, have a tart."
Listen to Bill Withers' song Grandmas Hands. It will make you greet like a bairn.
Post a Comment